Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Cathay House - Dim Sum

This was only the second time I have been to Cathay House. I came for dim sum years ago and didn't have much of a desire to return but I couldn't resist giving them another chance recently.

We arrived around noon and they weren't too busy. I felt rushed to order, even though we kept telling them we wanted to wait for our entire party to be seated. We ordered hot tea and waters all around and then proceeded to order from the carts that came around.

They pushed the ginger scallion lobster with pasta on us and although a good value at $15.99, it had to be reheated before they served it to us. The lobster was good, but the noodles felt like total filler, didn't have much flavor and were overcooked. The highlights from our meal were the custard buns, duck, crab balls and spare ribs. The ribs also had to be reheated for us before serving, which was also a bit of a turn off.

The rest of the items we ordered weren't very memorable and I wouldn't recommend most, if any, of it. The coconut bun, egg custard, bbq pork buns and smelt were all completely forgettable.

Service was ok, although refills were a little hard to come by for our waters and tea. There are other dim sum places in town I prefer, with fresher items, so I don't see myself coming back any time soon.








5 comments:

  1. I've been wondering how itms, I haven't been in 10 years! I guess it's a skip for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are better spots in town. Do you have any favorites?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not for dim sum...this was always the place we went. Haven't had Dim Sum in forever, but I've been getting that craving, only Dim Sum can cure! Any ideas? Also, I want to try SoHo

    ReplyDelete
  4. For sushi. I've been hearing great things, and it's so close I can't pass it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to try SoHo as well. I was just trying to convince my friends to go there for lunch today. I might head there on Monday... we shall see. For dim sum I love Chang's or Ping Pang Pong, I've wanted to check out KJ at Rio as well.

    ReplyDelete